- Fold two pieces of pork belly into half.
- Tie the rolled pork bellies with kitchen twine.
- Using a pot that will fit two tied pork bellies, mix the following ingredients: 500 grams of shoyu tare, 400 grams of soy sauce, 200 grams of mirin, 200 grams of dry sake, one garlic cut in half, 3-4 slices of ginger and a bunch of green parts of scallion.
- Place the pork bellies in. If they are not completely submerged into the liquid, add more water and/or sake until they are.
- Put the pot into boil and simmer for two hours. Using a few plates/bowls on top of the meat as weight, ensure the pork bellies are submerged in the liquid.
- Periodically add more water and/or sake into the pot if the pork bellies become no longer fully submerged due to evaporation.
- After two hours, remove the pork bellies. Let them cool in the refrigerator preferably overnight.
- Carefully remove the twines. Slice pork bellies thin. Store them in refrigerator until ready to be served with ramen.
Some equipment to add to your shopping list ...
See our other ramen recipes here