Soft-boiled Eggs Recipe
kombu (dry kelp)
- Using an egg piercer, punch a hole at the bottom (flatter end) of the eggs.
- Place eggs into a straining basket.
- Boil a large pot of water. When the water is at a full boil, slowly drop the basket of eggs into the pot. Set a timer to 5 minutes and 40 seconds. [NOTE - for large eggs or if they are not completely room temperature, you may need to adjust the cooking time up to 6 minutes]
- For the first minute, turn the basket left and right slowly to ensure the egg yolks stay in the center.
- After the timer finishes, take the eggs out and drop them into a large bowl with ice water.
- Peel the egg shell. Marinate them with 100 grams of shoyu-tare, 100 grams of water and a two by two inch kombu for at least 24 hours in a tight food container.
Some equipment to add to your shopping list ...
See our other ramen recipes here